Friday, April 9, 2010

why blog?

I mentioned this week on my personal blog that at the end of the day, it's emails from my grandfather from 1,500 miles away stating that he "keeps enjoying all of my pictures and blogs" that keeps me blogging.

So why blog about tea? I'm not keeping my friends and family back in Texas informed on what I'm up to these days. Why bother?

Earlier in the week I was discussing the idea of only steeping your tea for 20-50 seconds and always tossing out the first brew with a fellow coworker in our break room. Another coworker listened intently, and although I knew he had something to say, kept quiet throughout our discussions.

Today he stopped me to share his story.

Around December he gave up coffee due to the withdrawals and crashes he was suffering from due to his dependency. He made the switch to tea and hasn't looked back. He did, however, notice that something was causing mild nausea on his way to work after he drank his tea, but it went away quickly enough each day that he didn't change his habits.

When he heard me talking about steeping tea for such a short amount of time he said his immediate reaction was that "it was total bullshit - that there was no way his tea would have enough flavor or caffeine after being steeped for such a short period of time." He went ahead and decided to try steeping his tea for a shorter amount of time, more than likely to prove me wrong, but he tried it nonetheless. He shortened his steeping time from five minutes to just around 50 seconds.

Guess what he discovered? He's been nausea-free the last few days. There are many factors that could contribute to this result, but in the end he found that steeping his tea for a shorter period of time resulted in the same flavor, less nausea, and longer life of the tea leaves for re-steeping.

So why do I blog about tea? You know that warmth that overcomes your body after a good cup of tea? That same warmth overcomes my soul when I'm able to enhance someone's quality of life - either by exposing them to potential health benefits, or brightening their day by sharing a product that I know, they too, might enjoy.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails