Sunday, May 2, 2010

spiced chai latte

The random cold snaps over the last few weeks encouraged me to make up a batch of my favorite Spiced Chai Latte.

This recipe was a personal combination of my favorite flavors found throughout multiple chai recipes. It is  a simple recipe and is delicious served both warm or iced. Enjoy!


Spiced Chai Latte

Ingredients
2 tsp fresh ginger - finely sliced or smashed
4 bags of black tea
2 cinnamon sticks
4 whole cloves
8 black peppercorns
4 cardamom pods
1/4 honey
1 quart of milk - your choice of fat content
*As always, I picked up my spices fresh in bulk from Whole Foods and chose a high quality organic tea. Buying bulk saves money and ensures freshness.

Preparation
Pour milk, spices, and honey into a saucepan, float the tea bags on top, and let come to a boil while continuously stirring. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes while continuing to stir. Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes. The milk will get a skin on top of it; skim and discard. Strain through a fine mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth. Serve hot or iced.

Added Tip
I doubled the recipe and made a half gallon of tea to enjoy the rest of the weekend. Among other things, I have an unnatural fear of spoiled milk. I typically only drink milk immediately after the carton is opened. I usually buy the smallest containers available to accommodate this fear with the exception of glass bottles. For whatever reason I believe glass bottles keep milk fresher longer and will continue to drink after the initial opening. The great part is that since the screw on caps seal well, I just returned the tea to the empty bottle for storage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is embarrassing, but I have never tried chai tea. I'm not exactly sure what makes it chai.

For the most part I've stuck with hot and iced white, black, or green tea made with bags.

Can you clarify?
Maybe a post?

Thanks!
Laura

Related Posts with Thumbnails